Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Fortune Cookie

"Admire a rose for its beauty, but beware of its thorns". That's what my fortune says. It's clever. That which is beautiful can also be cruel or harmful. It's like a beautiful person who seems alluring, but when you meet them they treat you like you're nothing and they are everything. Beauty blinds. And it hurts. Why is it so common that that which is beautiful is also evil? People get full of themselves and realize that they can use their beauty to hurt others. It's also common to believe that when someone is "beautiful" they are shallow and unintelligent.
Take Jessica Simpson for example. (No offense to those who like her). I saw a commercial of her yesterday. She was in a bar wearing a tight shirt and short shorts. A guy tries to smack her butt, but she pushed him on the ground and put her high heel on his neck. All I could think was, well when you dress like that how do you expect to be treated by guys? You're basically throwing out a welcome matt and saying, I dress like a slut so I must be one. I mean why dress that way of your own free will, it certainly doesn't look that comfortable. After tossing the guy on the ground she then turned to the camera and said, "I spent 7 weeks in a gym working to make this body perfect, so why don't you see the movie Dukes of Hazard to enjoy it?" I think I miss quoted, but that was the jist of what she said. She then went on to describe how the movie listings work, using some technical jargon. She then said, "I don't know what that all means, but it sounds good." So there you have it. A blond, fit woman wearing tight clothes and admitting she's an idiot to the camera. The sad part is you know there's some little girl out there who admires her for her singing (I don't know why though) and then wants to talk, dress, and act like her. I don't think, or at least I hope, that Jessica Simpson really isn't as dumb as she plays. She must have some depth. I think she hides it though to appeal to guys who like dumb, beautiful women. It's women like that -women who hide behind their beauty and act stupid to appeal to people- that really upset me. It's easy to rest on beauty when you look like that. It's easy to act dumb and pretend you know nothing. Where then is the effort? To make something of yourself you have to struggle somewhat and you have to give some sort of sacrifice. I think she lost out. She sacrificed more than she got in return. She gave up her true self to the world. She gave up the intelligent, unique, and deep self that lies within. It's a tragedy. It's sad that women fool themselves into believing that if they act like themselves or if they show who they really are people will not accept them and they will amount to nothing. They then put on a false smile and a fake personality that they think people expect of them. They act that way to get respect and attention, but in the end they get neither. Without that real, unique personality there is nothing worthwhile to hold people's attention. The fact they are not truely being themselves keeps people from giving them respect. I know I have strayed from my proverb. Perhaps proverbs have to be strayed from to find deeper wisdom. Proverbs are usually obvious anyways. Who didn't know before they read this that beauty can be appealing yet dangerous. I know before you read this you may have felt similarly towards the idea that women use their beauty to get by as well. The fact is we probably all think about the same things, but when never say them. Only when we do can we realize how much we think in common.

~Jessica

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home