Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Cab Ride

I found this prompt and thought it was pretty interesting : prompt#80 Take two people who dislike each other and stick them in the back of a cab together. What happens?

John: "Of all the cabs in L.A., how did I get stuck with this one?"
Rachel: "Yah, like I really want in to be in this cab with you either."
Cab Driver: "Are you guys married?"
John: "Not any more, thank God."
Rachel: "Yah, that's one mistake I won't make again anytime soon."
(awkward silence) . . .
Cab Driver: "So how long were you two married?"
(at the same time) -John: "Long enough." -Rachel: "Twelve years."
Cab Driver: "I don't mean to pry, but why did you guys split up?"
(awkward silence)
John: "It was a conflict of interests."
Rachel: (sarcastic whisper) "Yah, I was interested in him, and he was interested in other women."
John: "Well maybe I wouldn't have been interested if you didn't bite my head off every five seconds . . ."
Rachel: "Maybe I wouldn't have to if you had one ounce of consideracy in your body . . ."
Cab Driver: (thinking) This will be the longest cab ride of all time . . . Why do I have to ask crazy people questions? I should charge them more than usual.
John: "Look, it's over now so can we stop arguing?"
Rachel: "Gladly."
John: "Besides, it's not like we'll see each other ever again after this."
Rachel: "One can only hope."
(awkward silence) . . .
John: "Can you turn the radio on or something?"
Cab Driver: "Sorry it's broken. It's going to be fixed next week."
Rachel: (sarcastic) "That's just great . . ."
John: "How much longer do you think it will take?"
Cab Driver: "Well, considering the amount of traffic we're in, I'd say twenty minutes."
(more awkward silence)
(Cellphone ring) John: (thinking) Thank God . . .
John: "Hello, oh hi honey, how are you?"
Rachel : (rolling her eyes) "Of course she would call you at this moment."
John: "O.k., Cynthia, I'll see you in twenty. Love you too, bye."
Rachel: (sarcastically) "So who was that?"
John: (to cab driver) "So are you married?"
Cab Driver: "No, not yet, but I have been dating my girl for three years."
John: "Wow, that's great."
Rachel: "So why don't you marry her?"
John: "Not every relationship needs marriage, Rachel."
Rachel: "God knows our's didn't."
John: "What's your problem? Why can't you just let go and accept the fact that I'm happy with somebody else? In fact, you should go out and find someone."
Rachel: "I don't need a man to give my life meaning."
John: (bitterly) "No, that's right, you have money and clothes to give your life meaning."
Rachel: "You're an a*%#%^$, yah know that?"
John: "Well, you're a b%#$% and that's worse."
(Cab driver pulls car over.)
Cab Driver: "Here we are."
Rachel: "Hey, we still have three blocks to go, why why did you pull over?"
Cab Driver: "Because I'd rather lose the buck fifty and keep my sanity."

The End

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home