Thursday, August 04, 2011

power outage prompt circa 2006

Electricity is a recent discovery. Think of 12 things to do when there's no power.
Oh no! The power's out. Luckily it's daytime so I don't have to bring out the flashlights. Hmmmm, well I was watching TV. What should I do now? I can go outside and ride my bike. Of course I'm all alone and Em's not here. Riding your bike is fun, but not when you’re all alone riding in circles in the driveway. I could read a book. Let's see, I have Gone With The Wind, Lord of the Flies, Secret Garden, hey look a Stephen King book, a fairy tale book, an art book, Goosebumps, Far side Gallery, Urban Legends, Macbeth and Frankenstein, Jaws, 4 different ghost stories books, and my senior English class's Interactive Reader which has at least 12 stories I haven't read yet. I guess I’ll read my Urban Legends book. They always have interesting stories in there. Like this one entitled "Nameless Cheat":
An aged teacher at Eton College was overseeing a history examination one afternoon. When the allotted 2 hours were up, he told the pupils to put down their pens and went down the aisles collecting their papers. When he came to one pupil, he said, “I won't be collecting your paper as I saw you cheating." He was about to proceed when the pupil stood up and exclaimed haughtily, "Cheating? Do you know who I am?” The teacher, having dealt with many arrogant pupils in his time, responded disdainfully, "No young man, I do not, nor does it bear any consequence." The pupil said smiling, “Oh it does. If you don't know who I am ..." and without finishing his sentence, he stuffed his paper into the middle of the pile the teacher was holding and ran out of the classroom.
Alright, that was an interesting story, but I've only listed 2 things I can do. I can also draw or paint. I can write another story in my 5th storybook. I can play cards. I can play the piano. Wow I'm half way there. I can play a board game, though I think it might be hard considering the fact that I'm all by myself. I can drive somewhere in my car. That means I can drive to the mall and buy some more books. I can listen to my cd player. Let's see that's 9 things. Alright 3 more things. Well, I guess I could clean my room . . . I can call my friend Maggie over on my cell phone. Then who knows what we might do. We could throw paper airplanes off the balcony. That's always fun. We could go swimming. We could . . . hey the power's back! Well, so much for all of that. That airplane idea sounded like a lot of fun. I think I'll call Maggie now . . .

~ Jessica

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home